Skip To Main Content

Immunization Requirements

To enter or transfer into public and private elementary and secondary schools (grades K-12), children under age 18 must have immunizations. All parents/guardians must present an immunization record for their student at the time of registration.

An immunization record is a written record, usually a yellow card, printout from your health care provider, school immunization record from your former school (blue California School Immunization Record PM 286), or another state's record. 

Immunization records must be in English. The record must include at least the month and year each immunization dose was received; for measles, rubella and/or mumps, vaccine given in the month of the first birthday, month, day and year are required. A record with check marks instead of dates or saying only "up-to-date," "all requirements met," or "series complete" is inadequate.

Also, parents cannot simply fill out a California School Immunization Record from memory but must present a written immunization record. Further, the record must show that all vaccine doses have been received.

Please note the following:

  • View the required immunizations listed in the Required Immunizations for School Entry document on this page.
  • Children with updated shots will be admitted unconditionally.
  • Children who are lacking shots (or are past due) will not be admitted until the immunization record is updated.
  • Children who are lacking shots (not due yet) will be admitted on a conditional basis – meaning you’ll have to show proof when the immunization record has been updated.
  • Transitional Kindergartners are subject to the same immunization requirements as Kindergarten.
  • If you are transferring into the district from outside the State of California, please be aware that the State of California requires the Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccination.  Or, if the student has already had the disease, it must be noted on the immunization record submitted.
  • All incoming 7th grade students are required to show proof of the Pertussis (Tdap), and two doses of Varicella. See
  • Under a new law known as SB 277, beginning January 1, 2016 exemptions based on personal beliefs will no longer be an option for the vaccines that are currently required for entry into child care or school in California. See for more information.
  • For more information about school immunization requirements and resources, visit the California Department of Public Health’s website at

Immunization Questions?

Please contact SUSD Nurse Cristina Lee at (408) 867-3424, x529 or email her at

Immunization Information and Forms

Required Immunizations for School Entry

TB Risk Assessment Form

The Tuberculosis School Mandate for Santa Clara County requires that all children entering or transferring into kindergarten get a TB assessment and/or TB skin test within 12 months prior to first school entrance or transfer.  All children entering TK/kindergarten OR transferring to SUSD from outside Santa Clara County should have the assessment form filled out and signed by the student's physician.

First Grade Health Report Form

This form, to be completed by a physician, is mandated by the State of California for entry into first grade. State law requires that a physical must be given within 18 months prior to entry into first grade.

Kindergarten or First Grade Oral Health Assessment Form

California State law requires that by May 31 each year, students in kindergarten (or first grade if it is the student's first year in public school) submit proof of an oral health assessment performed by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional. Assessments that have happened within the 12 months before your child enters school will satisfy this requirement. For more information on the Oral Health Assessment, visit the California Department of Education website.

Local Clinics

If you do not yet have a pediatrician or family physician, you may try the following resources: